Friday, May 21, 2010

Touring with Scenic Map

I developed Scenic Map so I could have a virtual birds eye view of the world on the long drives I like to take in California and Nevada. I like to know where I am at all times and discover interesting features there are around my current location. I also like to see the turns the road will make ahead of me and where the nearest towns are located. For example, in the image below you see my Prius parked in a turnout on route 395 in California just outside the town of Bishop. While the scenery is excellent, you can't really tell how far away the mountains are or what secrets they may contain.

However if you happen to have an iPad 3G and are running Scenic Map Western USA you can get a much better view.
The view from the photo above is to the northeast. In the Scenic Map view you can easily see the entire mountain range and the valley that lies beyond. The low hills in the foreground may look large in the photo but are actually a lot smaller than the mountains in the background. The southern end of those mountains is part of the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest which contains the oldest living things on Earth. Some of the trees there are over 4000 years old and still growing.

Don't miss an opportunity to make discoveries like this for yourself. Take Scenic Map with you on your next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment